Friday, June 13, 2014

Teaching

Note: This is a post from last summer, 2013. 

So we're almost done with 1st semester of American Lit. and I can't help but feel proud of my students. This is a great class and I really like them. I like their personalities, I like their jokes, I like that they are responsible, but most of all, I like that they are learning. Or maybe I just think they are. But as I look around the quiet classroom, watching the bent heads of the students and hear their keyboards clicking as they type information into their powerpoint for their presentation tomorrow, I can't help but smile as I remember some of their comments. "Jack London only lived for 40 years - it's hard to find information about him." ... "Edgar Allan Poe married his 13 year old cousin, and on the marriage license it said she was 21." ... "Adeline Yen Mah wrote Falling Leaves." ... "I just finished reading Of Mice and Men so I think it's lucky that I'm writing about John Steinbeck." ... "I finished my presentation. I'm all ready for tomorrow." ... These students are working and not only that, they're learning. At least, I like to think they are. Perhaps they know this already, but they are exactly fulfilling the objective I had in mind when I created this project, which simply was, to find out for themselves about some of the most famous writers in American history. Well, ok, there are some students who think that I gave them this assignment to pay them back, like a punishment for having to teach them :-D I admit it's not a bad idea. Maybe they will think twice before giving me a hard time in class :)

But I can't help but feel proud of them, despite the huge groans and procrastination and sleepy yawns, at least they are learning. And that was the objective. Not only are they learning about American literature, I am learning something too. I'm learning how to appreciate their view of life. I'm learning to see things from their perspective. I'm learning that I like this group of kids. So I just want to say thank you to the American Lit. summer class of 2013 :D You guys rock :P


p.s. I just realised I never posted this last year...probably because I was busy grading presentations...you guys still rock, wherever you are today :) Let's have a reunion one of these days :-D I can't promise, but I will try not to ask you how much you remember of American Lit....

No comments:

Post a Comment