Saturday, February 25, 2012

Nostalgia

I'm starting to go through the "lasts" process. "Last time I go to school here.... last time I see this person for who-knows-how-long... last time I travel on this bus... last time I eat this... last time I drink that..." It's been hard to get used to the thought that my life is going to change again soon, but since I haven't finished learning Chinese (as if one can ever "finish" such a thing) I know I will be back. I just don't know when.

So as I glare at the calendar, wishing it to stay forever February so I can stay here a bit longer, I am slowly saying bye to people and filling up my last few days here with appointments with friends around the city to go shopping, eat out, sing at KTV, and just hang out.

People ask me if I'm more sad to be leaving or more excited about going home, and I have to say it's evenly split between the two feelings. I'm excited to be going back but how can you be excited about leaving a place where you have made so many friends who care about you? So I tell them I'm only saying "see you later" and it's much easier that way. In the event that I don't return, at least I'll have these memories of them to keep forever in my memory album.

One thing I will not miss is this awful weather. It's been rainy for what seems like an eternity. As soon as the weather gets warmer and I pull out my short sleeves and start looking for summer shoes and sunglasses, the weather takes a turn for the worse and rains down a storm of blustery cold and I have to take to hibernating in my winter boots again.

But one thing I will definitely miss is the bubble milk tea (tea with milk and tapioca pearls). You have to try it to understand why it's so good. I think the sugar has something to do with it.

But what will I miss the most? My friends and their smiles as they say "hao jiu bu jian" or "long time no see" and ask me how I'm doing and warn me gently to dress warmly because they just checked the weather report and it's supposed to get colder.

I will miss dashing to class and then seeing my teacher smile and talk animatedly about Chinese culture and grammar. I will miss being part of a university and seeing all the students milling about buying food from all the little cafes on campus. I will miss hanging out with my classmates and snacking on pastries from the bakery after class, discussing grammar or what to do for the next holiday.

I will miss wandering the streets of the night market at 10 pm and feeling at home amongst the bright lights and smiling faces of the various vendors. I will miss the food vendors who recognise and greet me every time I come by.

I will miss making new friends randomly while standing in line to buy fried potatoes. I will miss the friendly strangers who tell me I just dropped money and quickly pick it up for me, or who ask if I'm lost when I'm looking at a map, or ask if I need help when I can't decide what to order from the menu. All these things and more I will miss greatly.

Until I return,

c u  L8ter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment