
So I'm not even sure what to write today. It's kind of late and I guess I shall just describe what I did this week. I know this is quite unoriginal, and as an English teacher I am trying to inspire creativity in my students, so this really is uncharacteristic, but then again, it has been a long week and my energy level has dipped below readable levels again.
So this week I have been out quite a few times. There is a pasta restaurant nearby and I went there twice this week and each time I got the only vegetarian option they have, but it was still good. It came with a soup that looked almost like Borscht, and some sweet-ish garlic bread. Did I mention that bread here is not the same as in the States or Europe? It's more like Wonderbread style wherever you go, and almost like a pastry; it's hard to find the rough and hearty whole-wheat here.
Besides pasta, the night market here (one of many) also has a thing called "Shaved Ice" and it literally is ice that is shaved in a machine into little ice chips. The ice is made either from water or from milk, and is sweet. They put your choice of fruit, red or green beans (green beans here beans that are green, and are a bit like black-eyed peas); they then pour syrup over the whole thing and voila, you have your rather large plate of shaved ice. The last time I ate a whole plate of it I decided I had had enough to last me for a year, so now I try to share a plate whenever I go.
This time though I tried the icecream on the menu and it came in a rather festively decorated bowl with a small parasol perched on top and peaches and banana and strawberries and kiwis gracing the sides of the glass bowl. I admit I was surprised, even though I've lived here a while, but my first bite of the green icecream was quite something. It was green tea icecream, and instead of the sweet flavour I always associate with icecream, it was like eating iced tea with a very strong flavor. It really took getting used to.
Well I must get some sleep now, but it really is fun to walk around between 7-10 at night and look at all the little shops and see the night life. It definitely feels alive and you never feel alone, especially in the night market, as there are always at least 10 people within arms' reach and plenty pushing past and strolling ahead. Well below are some random pictures from my life here :) Enjoy.
 |
| Yep, we really were going this fast on the train |
 |
| Random meal in China |
 |
| Random decorated tree in a train station |
P.S. the picture of the salt shaker and pepper shaker is from the pasta place. I had so much fun playing with them!
 |
| "Um, dear? ... I left the parmesan at home..." |
 |
| "Oh! You should have told me!" |
 |
| "It's ok, I forgive you.... at least we have salt and pepper..." |
I absolutely love the photos! I like to see the plate of food, I am always curious about food. I think those shaved ice sound very interesting. I also love those shakers. Too cute! Thank you for sharing. A glimpse into everyday life is very fun. Share more ;)
ReplyDelete