Thursday, August 19, 2010

Hello again,
We just finished Parents' Night at school - my first parents' night ever! It was quite something, being a new teacher and meeting parents of my students and answering questions about their students - quite the new experience, as most everything is at the moment.

There is a difference between the first and the second week. I am noticing it. I can breathe a little easier now. I don't hold my breath as often. Although my students and I are still learning how to work together, I am getting more used to standing in front of them every day and thinking of what I can possibly teach that will make a difference in their lives, not just now, but when they leave my classroom.

Of course, like a lot of teachers, I feel inadequate. Who knew teachers ever felt that way? Of course, it's not something teachers let on.

My students are amazing. They make my job what it is. Now I know why people get into teaching. It's not the job, although the "flexible" schedule (flexible, meaning non 9-5) is nice for more creative-minded people, like myself (in my case that's a fancy word for 'scatter-brained'). It's not the pay, because teachers are never on the top scale of ludicrous salaries. It isn't the location, although part of my coming here was because of its location.

But that wasn't the whole reason, and now I see what I knew all along - teaching is one of the most rewarding, the most hardest (I won't teach that phrase to my English students) and the most emotion-wrenching job there is out there. And I'm in that profession. So wish me luck, and most importantly, prayers.

Thanks *_*

1 comment:

  1. Sniff! Glad your experience is getting easier, with things slowly starting to fall into place routine-wise. And also glad you're understanding more about why you are there. You're doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete