Dear All,
I have wanted to write again but it seems so much is happening so fast and it is hard to keep up. I have mounds of homework coming in, which means mounds of homework I must return (why do teachers give homework anyway?) And perhaps if I explain my last few days it will make sense why I write sporadically.
Besides the literal mountain of homework piling up behind my desk, as if in an effort to intimidate me, which in fact it is doing successfully, I am also dealing with forgetfulness and overwhelmedness at times. But there are good days inbetween the days when I feel like I am drowning. Below I have summarised some of the lessons I've learned this week.
Lessons learned this week...
- Always put the pan on the burner BEFORE turning on the burner, unless you particularly like singeing the hair on your fingers.
- Never leave your keys in your office before locking the door
- Leave your office door open when people don't know you are there, so they won't lock you in the building and set the alarm for it to go off the minute you step out the door.
- Ask first if your window is set with an alarm before opening it and sticking your head out
- When you buy something frozen at 7-11, the cashiers are asking you if you want it heated up
- Don't ever assume anything about your students and do not expect them to naturally be excited about class
- Follow through, when you say something, do it
- If you're not sure how to set up a wireless connection, don't.
- If you do set up a wireless connection anyway, despite not knowing how to, and it fails the first time, don't try it again
- If you see two wireless networks with the same name, both of them yours, ask someone how to delete the 'extra one'
- If you want to have a social life, skip the first year of teaching and go immediately to the second.
Hahahah! Great lessons, summarized in succinct phrases. I especially liked the ones about the wireless connection!
ReplyDeleteVery insightful lessons you learnt there. Keep it up, Rachel! :-)
ReplyDeleteElaine